The Castle Hotel, originally known as Sandston, was built as a family home for the Dukes of Gordon during the 18th century. Later it was refurbished and extended with stone from the ruins of Huntly Castle in 1769 and renamed Huntly Lodge. The 5th and final Duke of Gordon enlisted Archibald Simpson - the celebrated Aberdeen architect, to help with its design.
The Lordship of Strathbogie (the ancient title for Huntly), was conferred to the Berwickshire family of Gordon in 1319 when it was forfeited by Robert the Bruce after David de Strathbogie, Earl of Athole, had backed the wrong side at the Battle of Bannockburn (1314)
The "Gey Gordons" finally settled in Aberdeenshire in 1376 and brought with them the name to the town. Huntly is frequently called "the heart of the Gordon Country" ; to the Gordons it owes its Charter as Burgh of Barony, granted by Mary Queen of Scots in 1545.
Huntly Lodge was sold from the large estate in 1924, the british army used it as a hospital during World War II, and in 1946 it was sold once more and became the Castle Hotel.
Still in private ownership today, the good food and comfort enjoyed by the subsequent Dukes of Gordon is still enjoyed by Royalty today, most notably His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales in 1994. Among our valued customers we have wined and dined Douglas Hurd, the then Home Secretary; Scotland`s former rugby captain Gavin Hastings; and Glasgow Rangers football team !!
When youre here, youre family!